Skip to main content

Day 9 Matthew 11:28-30

I am so tired.  I don't know about you, but my body has carried me through some long days and my heart has held some burdens tight for too long.

Sealed in the corner of my soul, fingers are closely locked together around worries and anger that have lingered long enough for them to feel comfortable in my grasp.  They live there in the dark, gaining weight as they sit lazily there with nowhere to go.  My grip is strong. 

As I become more exhausted, the ache that sticks around in the bottom of my neck makes itself remembered as my soul lets those weights creep in there.  I need to breathe.

I unfold my fists, one finger at a time, and inhale that familiar forced calm, exhaling my frustrations... yet they remain. 

Peace is hard to find when you hold onto too much in your heart.  Burdens suffocate your soul and leave you exhausted and ready to stay in bed all day.

Sometimes I literally open my hands when I'm at this point.  I sit still.  I breathe.  And I keep my palms face up.  And when I'm too tired to lift those burdens, I ask God to take them straight from my shoulders. 

My God is gracious and kind and loving.  Even on days when I'm not too sure.  He carries my anxiety and my sadness and my heartache and frustration and he gives me his burden in its place.  But it feels different. It's light.  It's easy to carry.  It brings warmth to my shoulders that relieve my soul. 

I trust my Father, if I'm honest, because He has proved that he is trustworthy.  He will never fail me and he will always provide.  His yoke is easy.  He comforts me when I am weary, and he calls me forward one step at a time. 

Open your hands.  Find rest in this moment, right now.  Be present.  Feel God's arms around you and find peace in the embrace.  Even in the chaos, I promise, his peace prevails.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 29 Roots

Orange unfurls from green and lies under layers of brown. Roots are planted deep, but canopies are left bare with death as bitter winds befriend my nose and fingers. I pray my roots are deep enough to endure the change of season. What if death consumes everything that sits on the surface so everything underneath is exposed? Dig deep, patiently wait for the sprout to emerge, let the roots begin to sink in. The winds may blow the leaves away and break some branches, but resurrection comes with change too. Hope lives in the roots.

Day 27 You are a Leader

Today Pastor Chris (at Riverbank Church in White River Junction, VT) talked about one of my favorite topics-- Christian leadership.  What do you think of when we hear the word "leader?" Maybe you think, "sure, I'm a leader." That's great! But maybe you think, "uh, no way, I don't have the abilities or the gifts to be a leader." And if that's you, I understand where you are coming from. But friend, I'm lovingly telling you, you're dead wrong. As Christians, we are all leaders.  Really, I think we're just defining leadership wrong. Leadership, from a biblical standpoint, is serving others (Matthew 20:28), influence (Galatians 5:16-25), responsibility (Galatians 6:4-5), character (2 Peter 1:3), and skill (Luke 1610-12). We all have the Holy Spirit living inside of us, and he is the most powerful influence. So if we have him living inside of us, and working through us, how can we not be leaders? See, God does not call the qualif...

Day 28 Divine Love in Truth

I'm going to back-track here... back to truth. Remember how I said it's connected to love? Christopher Heuertz says in The Sacred Enneagram  that "there is divine love in all truth no matter where it's from." But see, sometimes the truth hurts. So where's the love then? What about the truth that I am broken and selfish and impatient and human? When we are held accountable, we typically don't like hearing where we've gone wrong. And yet, being held accountable is so valuable and necessary. It helps us see who we truly are-- even the ugly bits.  It teaches us how we can grow and who we are becoming.  It draws us closer to Love. When you can see where you struggle, you can also choose to see your potential. I believe that's how God sees all of us.  He sees our cracked pieces and sees beauty because he can see the final work. It requires hope on our end, and patience to hear and develop from hard truth. So next time you hear someone tell you that t...