Skip to main content

Day 26 Day Off vs. Sabbath

No post yesterday... but you get two today!

You know when you get a day off (I know, what's a "day off?") and all you want to do is flop down on the couch with a blanket, maybe some tea, and just watch Netflix or read a good book? Or just mindlessly scroll through your phone? Basically, just do nothing.  But you know you have a list of things you need to or at least should do.  So you drag yourself through the day and slowly procrastinate until you can't any longer and you do what needs doing.  Tell me it's not just me.

This was my day.

And believe me when I say that there are days when I do nothing all day.  It's rare that I have the chance, but when I do, it's pretty wonderful.  Sometimes our bodies need physical rest. You work hard all week, and caring for your body is a good thing.  But, potato-ing around all day (I'm making that a thing, by the way) is not sabbath.

I've seen so many people post pictures of themselves lounging around saying, "#sabbath." But friends, while sabbath is rest, it is very intentional.  As we take a break from work, we use this time to be in the presence of God and refresh our souls.  The commandment does not say to take the seventh day for yourself to rest.  It says keep the sabbath holy, and keep it as a sabbath to the LORD.

So I don't work on Sundays.  And yes, I do get physical rest on this day, but I also try to be very deliberate about how I spend my time.  I go to church.  I come home.  I rest.  I pay attention to the music I choose to listen to, the shows I watch.  And while this should be an everyday routine, I am hyper-focused about dedicating everything to God on this day as I rest.  I take the time to listen to him closely and thank him for this time he blesses me with.  And of course, I'm not perfect, and this doesn't happen flawlessly every week, but I'm trying. And praying. And being patient as God works in me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 29 Roots

Orange unfurls from green and lies under layers of brown. Roots are planted deep, but canopies are left bare with death as bitter winds befriend my nose and fingers. I pray my roots are deep enough to endure the change of season. What if death consumes everything that sits on the surface so everything underneath is exposed? Dig deep, patiently wait for the sprout to emerge, let the roots begin to sink in. The winds may blow the leaves away and break some branches, but resurrection comes with change too. Hope lives in the roots.

Day 27 You are a Leader

Today Pastor Chris (at Riverbank Church in White River Junction, VT) talked about one of my favorite topics-- Christian leadership.  What do you think of when we hear the word "leader?" Maybe you think, "sure, I'm a leader." That's great! But maybe you think, "uh, no way, I don't have the abilities or the gifts to be a leader." And if that's you, I understand where you are coming from. But friend, I'm lovingly telling you, you're dead wrong. As Christians, we are all leaders.  Really, I think we're just defining leadership wrong. Leadership, from a biblical standpoint, is serving others (Matthew 20:28), influence (Galatians 5:16-25), responsibility (Galatians 6:4-5), character (2 Peter 1:3), and skill (Luke 1610-12). We all have the Holy Spirit living inside of us, and he is the most powerful influence. So if we have him living inside of us, and working through us, how can we not be leaders? See, God does not call the qualif...

Day 28 Divine Love in Truth

I'm going to back-track here... back to truth. Remember how I said it's connected to love? Christopher Heuertz says in The Sacred Enneagram  that "there is divine love in all truth no matter where it's from." But see, sometimes the truth hurts. So where's the love then? What about the truth that I am broken and selfish and impatient and human? When we are held accountable, we typically don't like hearing where we've gone wrong. And yet, being held accountable is so valuable and necessary. It helps us see who we truly are-- even the ugly bits.  It teaches us how we can grow and who we are becoming.  It draws us closer to Love. When you can see where you struggle, you can also choose to see your potential. I believe that's how God sees all of us.  He sees our cracked pieces and sees beauty because he can see the final work. It requires hope on our end, and patience to hear and develop from hard truth. So next time you hear someone tell you that t...