Skip to main content

Day 23 Plans

Sometimes I don't know what to write. Sometimes I have no idea what I'm doing with my life.
I may have some hopes and dreams, but no detailed plan yet. Recently I've been taking one day at a time, which is odd because I used to be an intense planner. Don't get me wrong, I still love making plans, but I've become more "go with the flow."  I think I'm learning to pace myself and embrace God's timing. 

See, I believe that in order to love people well, we need to slow down.  If I'm living in the next moment, I usually rush by the people in front of me, I'm not very available, and I'm not fully engaged.  But if I take the time to see them and actually have a meaningful conversation, even if it's only 2 minutes, I think I can be a little more like Jesus. 

Spoiler alert-- I don't usually plan these posts ahead of time. And on days like today when I'm exhausted, I'm looking to the Holy Spirit for even just a word and hearing silence, so I'm putting my fingers to the keys and trusting he'll speak something in this rambling. That's the other thing about plans, I've learned that when I plan every detail out, God is usually thinking something different.  So while it is ok to plan and sometimes necessary, it's also valuable to practice letting go and listening to God's plan in each moment. 

The Holy Spirit loves to have conversations with us, but I often rush by him and give his voice a passing nod on my way to my own decisions.  But when I pause to listen to his voice, I'm more attentive to his people and his callings.  I look more like love because I'm available, open, vulnerable. 

So let's practice pausing.  Make your plans, but don't cling so tightly to them.  Listen to your Father because I promise, the story he's writing for you is so much better than any happily ever after you could ever write.  Let's look people in the eyes, smile more, and become more like Love.  I think it's a pretty good plan. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 29 Roots

Orange unfurls from green and lies under layers of brown. Roots are planted deep, but canopies are left bare with death as bitter winds befriend my nose and fingers. I pray my roots are deep enough to endure the change of season. What if death consumes everything that sits on the surface so everything underneath is exposed? Dig deep, patiently wait for the sprout to emerge, let the roots begin to sink in. The winds may blow the leaves away and break some branches, but resurrection comes with change too. Hope lives in the roots.

Day 27 You are a Leader

Today Pastor Chris (at Riverbank Church in White River Junction, VT) talked about one of my favorite topics-- Christian leadership.  What do you think of when we hear the word "leader?" Maybe you think, "sure, I'm a leader." That's great! But maybe you think, "uh, no way, I don't have the abilities or the gifts to be a leader." And if that's you, I understand where you are coming from. But friend, I'm lovingly telling you, you're dead wrong. As Christians, we are all leaders.  Really, I think we're just defining leadership wrong. Leadership, from a biblical standpoint, is serving others (Matthew 20:28), influence (Galatians 5:16-25), responsibility (Galatians 6:4-5), character (2 Peter 1:3), and skill (Luke 1610-12). We all have the Holy Spirit living inside of us, and he is the most powerful influence. So if we have him living inside of us, and working through us, how can we not be leaders? See, God does not call the qualif...

Day 28 Divine Love in Truth

I'm going to back-track here... back to truth. Remember how I said it's connected to love? Christopher Heuertz says in The Sacred Enneagram  that "there is divine love in all truth no matter where it's from." But see, sometimes the truth hurts. So where's the love then? What about the truth that I am broken and selfish and impatient and human? When we are held accountable, we typically don't like hearing where we've gone wrong. And yet, being held accountable is so valuable and necessary. It helps us see who we truly are-- even the ugly bits.  It teaches us how we can grow and who we are becoming.  It draws us closer to Love. When you can see where you struggle, you can also choose to see your potential. I believe that's how God sees all of us.  He sees our cracked pieces and sees beauty because he can see the final work. It requires hope on our end, and patience to hear and develop from hard truth. So next time you hear someone tell you that t...