Skip to main content

Day 24 Are you Content?

So, I love joy.  It's very different from happy and I've learned a lot about it.  But today I want to ask, are you happy?  I mean, are you truly content? Are you doing what you love? See, I think many of us have gotten caught up in the priorities of the world, that we forget to care for ourselves. Or we spend all our energies on others that we leave ourselves completely empty and worn. Don't get me wrong, we should care for others, and we can't always be happy, but there's a balance here.

You may need to provide for a family.  You may need to save money for school, or a car, or a house.  We all need money. Therefore we have to work. I'm not asking are you happy every day at your job.  But, do you love what you do? Is there some passion planted in your soul when you do what you do?  Are you content? I know so many people who get home exhausted and drained because they either dread every day, or they have other dreams, or they ignore what their soul needs. 

Friends, self-care is not selfish. Following your dreams and setting goals aren't either. Of course, if these are your sole focus, then yes, it might be, but you see the point.  Let yourself breathe.  How can you incorporate what you love where you are? Do you need to make changes in your routine to make time for yourself and do something that makes you happy? How can you care for those around you and give yourself space to care for yourself too? Things to think about.  Things I've been thinking about.

I have hard days at work, but I love what I do.  I love people, and I get to serve them every day.  And yet, I'm also an introvert, so I am usually drained when I get home. So I know I need to take time for myself.  I need to rest and restore so I can keep serving.  Because not only am I happy, but it brings me joy.  When you do what you love, not only are you happy, but your soul collects joy each day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 29 Roots

Orange unfurls from green and lies under layers of brown. Roots are planted deep, but canopies are left bare with death as bitter winds befriend my nose and fingers. I pray my roots are deep enough to endure the change of season. What if death consumes everything that sits on the surface so everything underneath is exposed? Dig deep, patiently wait for the sprout to emerge, let the roots begin to sink in. The winds may blow the leaves away and break some branches, but resurrection comes with change too. Hope lives in the roots.

Day 27 You are a Leader

Today Pastor Chris (at Riverbank Church in White River Junction, VT) talked about one of my favorite topics-- Christian leadership.  What do you think of when we hear the word "leader?" Maybe you think, "sure, I'm a leader." That's great! But maybe you think, "uh, no way, I don't have the abilities or the gifts to be a leader." And if that's you, I understand where you are coming from. But friend, I'm lovingly telling you, you're dead wrong. As Christians, we are all leaders.  Really, I think we're just defining leadership wrong. Leadership, from a biblical standpoint, is serving others (Matthew 20:28), influence (Galatians 5:16-25), responsibility (Galatians 6:4-5), character (2 Peter 1:3), and skill (Luke 1610-12). We all have the Holy Spirit living inside of us, and he is the most powerful influence. So if we have him living inside of us, and working through us, how can we not be leaders? See, God does not call the qualif...

Day 28 Divine Love in Truth

I'm going to back-track here... back to truth. Remember how I said it's connected to love? Christopher Heuertz says in The Sacred Enneagram  that "there is divine love in all truth no matter where it's from." But see, sometimes the truth hurts. So where's the love then? What about the truth that I am broken and selfish and impatient and human? When we are held accountable, we typically don't like hearing where we've gone wrong. And yet, being held accountable is so valuable and necessary. It helps us see who we truly are-- even the ugly bits.  It teaches us how we can grow and who we are becoming.  It draws us closer to Love. When you can see where you struggle, you can also choose to see your potential. I believe that's how God sees all of us.  He sees our cracked pieces and sees beauty because he can see the final work. It requires hope on our end, and patience to hear and develop from hard truth. So next time you hear someone tell you that t...