Skip to main content

Day 8 The Examine

A few months ago I was listening to Annie Downs podcast and the guest on this particular episode talked about “the examine” as a prayer he uses and during his quiet time with God. 

Side note: so often we think that we have to read Scripture in our quiet time to build our relationship with Jesus, and while reading the Bible is extremely important and valuable, it’s not the only tool in our toolbox. 

Anyway, the examine is a great contemplative prayer that I have been trying to practice more, since it helps me to reflect and see God’s fingerprints in my day. I had noticed at the time that when someone asked me how my week was on Sunday, I could barely remember specific details from the past few days except the fact that I worked and did homework. I had been hurrying through my days and hadn’t given myself any time to process anything or down time to reflect of what the Spirit had been teaching me. 

So I thought I’d share this prayer exercise with you. Set aside at least 15 minutes to look back on the last 24 hours to see how God was there. It can be your quiet time or an extension of it. 

First, ask the Holy Spirit to guide you. He’s our helper, and we need him. 

Second, review the day in thanksgiving. Not everyday is sunshine and unicorns, and you don’t have to make up things that didn’t happen, but be thankful for the little things. There is grace everywhere and that is such a gift.

Third, notice the emotions that because to come to the surface when you think about the day. Don’t judge what emerges, just acknowledge them. If you were excited about news you got, great. If you were frustrated by your drive to work, that’s ok. Think about conversations— how did they make you feel? Think about a post you saw— what was your reaction. Reflect on it all, nothing is insignificant. 

Fourth, choose one or two of those emotions you uncovered and hold them before God. And then, listen. Be still and hear what God needs to say to you. Your mind may drift, and that’s ok. Guide it back gently and just be in your Father’s loving and gracious presence. 

Lastly, look forward to tomorrow in hope (there’s that word again). What did you learn today that can propel you to walk with God tomorrow? What did you learn yesterday that can keep you going today?



Sometimes I journal about these emotions and what I learned about them, other times it’s just a mental reflection. Find what works for you. All I know is that this prayer has helped me to be more present where I am and to pause in my every day to see God’s hands at work. And I’ll tell ‘ya, it’s pretty spectacular. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 29 Roots

Orange unfurls from green and lies under layers of brown. Roots are planted deep, but canopies are left bare with death as bitter winds befriend my nose and fingers. I pray my roots are deep enough to endure the change of season. What if death consumes everything that sits on the surface so everything underneath is exposed? Dig deep, patiently wait for the sprout to emerge, let the roots begin to sink in. The winds may blow the leaves away and break some branches, but resurrection comes with change too. Hope lives in the roots.

Day 27 You are a Leader

Today Pastor Chris (at Riverbank Church in White River Junction, VT) talked about one of my favorite topics-- Christian leadership.  What do you think of when we hear the word "leader?" Maybe you think, "sure, I'm a leader." That's great! But maybe you think, "uh, no way, I don't have the abilities or the gifts to be a leader." And if that's you, I understand where you are coming from. But friend, I'm lovingly telling you, you're dead wrong. As Christians, we are all leaders.  Really, I think we're just defining leadership wrong. Leadership, from a biblical standpoint, is serving others (Matthew 20:28), influence (Galatians 5:16-25), responsibility (Galatians 6:4-5), character (2 Peter 1:3), and skill (Luke 1610-12). We all have the Holy Spirit living inside of us, and he is the most powerful influence. So if we have him living inside of us, and working through us, how can we not be leaders? See, God does not call the qualif...

Day 28 Divine Love in Truth

I'm going to back-track here... back to truth. Remember how I said it's connected to love? Christopher Heuertz says in The Sacred Enneagram  that "there is divine love in all truth no matter where it's from." But see, sometimes the truth hurts. So where's the love then? What about the truth that I am broken and selfish and impatient and human? When we are held accountable, we typically don't like hearing where we've gone wrong. And yet, being held accountable is so valuable and necessary. It helps us see who we truly are-- even the ugly bits.  It teaches us how we can grow and who we are becoming.  It draws us closer to Love. When you can see where you struggle, you can also choose to see your potential. I believe that's how God sees all of us.  He sees our cracked pieces and sees beauty because he can see the final work. It requires hope on our end, and patience to hear and develop from hard truth. So next time you hear someone tell you that t...