Skip to main content

Day 5 Let Your Soul Breathe

When I think about rest and sabbath, I think a lot about my experience during La Vida three years ago.  I learned much about being present, slowing down, and leaning into the Spirit while hiking the Adirondacks for 12 days.

When we calm our bodies and truly take time to be still, oftentimes our minds still wander and race about.  I had 2 days of complete aloneness and fasting while I was out in the woods, and while I wanted to use that time to listen to God and journal about everything, I’ll admit that at times, it was hard to focus. My stomach would begin to growl, I felt weak and tired, my mind just meandered around so many topics... it was hard. And at the time I beat myself up about it. But after some practice, Ive learned to gently acknowledge any distraction and guide myself back to my prayers. 

Having two days of completely nothing was such a blessing, but now I’m in a season of life that is constantly moving. I work two part time jobs, go to school online, volunteer some of my time, and I’m working on writing a book. And trust me, I am not bragging— I wish I didn’t have to feel tired every day. But this fatigue has nudged a little reminder in my soul.  I haven’t been giving it space to breathe as one of my favorite authors, Emily P. Freeman says. 

Giving your soul space to breathe sometimes requires finding the peace of the Holy Spirit within yourself even when life bustles around you. Can we probably get 5 minutes of quiet on our day, yes (granted we put our phones down for a moment). But sometimes we need rest in the middle of the day when the to-do lists keep piling up and the hurry of everyone and everything around us chases us. In those moments, we can still find sabbath. 

Pause. What’s today? Where are you? What is the next thing you need to do? Breathe. You don’t have to do everything. Tomorrow has enough worry if it’s own, and I’m sure the next hour does too. Know that you are worthy, and not valued by what you do. Rest in the peace that surpasses all understanding that live within you— acknowledge its presence in your soul. And take one step forward. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 29 Roots

Orange unfurls from green and lies under layers of brown. Roots are planted deep, but canopies are left bare with death as bitter winds befriend my nose and fingers. I pray my roots are deep enough to endure the change of season. What if death consumes everything that sits on the surface so everything underneath is exposed? Dig deep, patiently wait for the sprout to emerge, let the roots begin to sink in. The winds may blow the leaves away and break some branches, but resurrection comes with change too. Hope lives in the roots.

Day 27 You are a Leader

Today Pastor Chris (at Riverbank Church in White River Junction, VT) talked about one of my favorite topics-- Christian leadership.  What do you think of when we hear the word "leader?" Maybe you think, "sure, I'm a leader." That's great! But maybe you think, "uh, no way, I don't have the abilities or the gifts to be a leader." And if that's you, I understand where you are coming from. But friend, I'm lovingly telling you, you're dead wrong. As Christians, we are all leaders.  Really, I think we're just defining leadership wrong. Leadership, from a biblical standpoint, is serving others (Matthew 20:28), influence (Galatians 5:16-25), responsibility (Galatians 6:4-5), character (2 Peter 1:3), and skill (Luke 1610-12). We all have the Holy Spirit living inside of us, and he is the most powerful influence. So if we have him living inside of us, and working through us, how can we not be leaders? See, God does not call the qualif...

Day 28 Divine Love in Truth

I'm going to back-track here... back to truth. Remember how I said it's connected to love? Christopher Heuertz says in The Sacred Enneagram  that "there is divine love in all truth no matter where it's from." But see, sometimes the truth hurts. So where's the love then? What about the truth that I am broken and selfish and impatient and human? When we are held accountable, we typically don't like hearing where we've gone wrong. And yet, being held accountable is so valuable and necessary. It helps us see who we truly are-- even the ugly bits.  It teaches us how we can grow and who we are becoming.  It draws us closer to Love. When you can see where you struggle, you can also choose to see your potential. I believe that's how God sees all of us.  He sees our cracked pieces and sees beauty because he can see the final work. It requires hope on our end, and patience to hear and develop from hard truth. So next time you hear someone tell you that t...