Skip to main content

Day 2 What I'm Learning

This year, I asked God to give me a word to think about (last year my word was joy-- you can even look back here and on my social media and see I wrote a lot about it).  But if I'm honest, I haven't taken much time to contemplate my word for 2018, and I haven't really seen its significance in my life. So as the year wraps up I ask God, why hope? I reflect on the many seasons I went through this year: joy, heartbreak, waiting, questioning, business... I know God was there, and I know he was working, but how does hope tie into all of it?

So I pause and remember.  In the joy, he showed me his faithfulness and provision.  I remembered how good he is.  In those moments of remembering, there was also hope.  Hope that my Father would continue to show me his kindness.

In the heartache, I leaned into his promises and listened to him whisper comfort when the lies in my head screamed over the storm in my soul.  That comfort was hope for a new day tomorrow.  Hope for forgiveness and reconciliation. Hope for healing and love.

In the season of waiting and questioning I needed (even though I didn't want to at the time) to trust God's faithfulness.  At this time, I was hurting and frustrated because I had heard God give me a clear plan for my summer. I had listened to his Spirit and followed his voice.  But that door that I was led to closed in my face.  And I asked, "what? Why? You called me here. I know it because I still feel you pushing me through this door, but it's closed God! What do you want me to do?" I needed to hope in His plan. To hope in his words and yet again, his faithfulness. And wouldn't you know it, he knocked down the door just a few weeks later. 

And in the business (basically the mundane of life as normal), I still need to hope.  I don't know what the future holds, even though I can tell you everything I need to get done tomorrow, but I am hoping in that plan God has for me. I am hoping in my Abba to keep transforming me into a child that is more like him.  I am trusting that I am beloved and hoping in the love and immense patience that will greet me tomorrow when I open my eyes and begin to go through my to-do list. 

Hope has been there all along.  Even when I didn't put in the effort to hope. But God reminds me of his goodness and he goes before me with those same promises, and it forces me to hope.  He has been good, he still is, and he will continue to be forever. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 29 Roots

Orange unfurls from green and lies under layers of brown. Roots are planted deep, but canopies are left bare with death as bitter winds befriend my nose and fingers. I pray my roots are deep enough to endure the change of season. What if death consumes everything that sits on the surface so everything underneath is exposed? Dig deep, patiently wait for the sprout to emerge, let the roots begin to sink in. The winds may blow the leaves away and break some branches, but resurrection comes with change too. Hope lives in the roots.

Day 27 You are a Leader

Today Pastor Chris (at Riverbank Church in White River Junction, VT) talked about one of my favorite topics-- Christian leadership.  What do you think of when we hear the word "leader?" Maybe you think, "sure, I'm a leader." That's great! But maybe you think, "uh, no way, I don't have the abilities or the gifts to be a leader." And if that's you, I understand where you are coming from. But friend, I'm lovingly telling you, you're dead wrong. As Christians, we are all leaders.  Really, I think we're just defining leadership wrong. Leadership, from a biblical standpoint, is serving others (Matthew 20:28), influence (Galatians 5:16-25), responsibility (Galatians 6:4-5), character (2 Peter 1:3), and skill (Luke 1610-12). We all have the Holy Spirit living inside of us, and he is the most powerful influence. So if we have him living inside of us, and working through us, how can we not be leaders? See, God does not call the qualif...

Day 28 Divine Love in Truth

I'm going to back-track here... back to truth. Remember how I said it's connected to love? Christopher Heuertz says in The Sacred Enneagram  that "there is divine love in all truth no matter where it's from." But see, sometimes the truth hurts. So where's the love then? What about the truth that I am broken and selfish and impatient and human? When we are held accountable, we typically don't like hearing where we've gone wrong. And yet, being held accountable is so valuable and necessary. It helps us see who we truly are-- even the ugly bits.  It teaches us how we can grow and who we are becoming.  It draws us closer to Love. When you can see where you struggle, you can also choose to see your potential. I believe that's how God sees all of us.  He sees our cracked pieces and sees beauty because he can see the final work. It requires hope on our end, and patience to hear and develop from hard truth. So next time you hear someone tell you that t...