Skip to main content

Day 12 Want... and Need

Story time:

I let someone merge into my lane ahead of me today on my way to work, and when they crossed that white dotted line, I was really hoping they would wave to say thank you or something to that effect.   And when I say hoping, I don't mean I was sitting there thinking "please wave, please wave, please wave!" More, deep in my soul, I wanted to feel appreciated.

I had done the kind thing here. There was heavy traffic, it was the right thing to do in the moment since they needed to get over to the exit... I did good.  So why did I need gratitude? The truth is I did the right thing. But as a human, I wanted more. I wanted to be seen and appreciated.  My pride longed for a little boost.

I don't know if you're familiar with the Enneagram, but I am a two.  A two is a helper-- they are empathetic and see people's needs.  In turn, they try to provide these needs so that they are, you guessed it, needed themselves.  Obviously, this is not an excuse for my humanness (my pride), but simply a tool that helps me understand it. 

I want to feel needed, but the truth is, I am not needed at all.  I also don't need other people's appreciation, I just want it.  I want people to be able to trust me and so I can care for them.  And then, maybe they'll care for me too. 

But then there's God.  Who needs no one.  He himself is a community (Father, Son, and Spirit), so he's never lonely.  Yet, he made me and he made you... because he wanted to.  He looked down the road and saw your face and ran to you because he wanted you to be a part of his marvelous creation.  So on days when I just want to be seen, I am.  And when I just want someone to need me, well, I'm wanted by the Creator of all.  Even on days when I would rather curl up in a ball and never be seen again, I am fully known and still fully loved.  Because that's who Truth is. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 29 Roots

Orange unfurls from green and lies under layers of brown. Roots are planted deep, but canopies are left bare with death as bitter winds befriend my nose and fingers. I pray my roots are deep enough to endure the change of season. What if death consumes everything that sits on the surface so everything underneath is exposed? Dig deep, patiently wait for the sprout to emerge, let the roots begin to sink in. The winds may blow the leaves away and break some branches, but resurrection comes with change too. Hope lives in the roots.

Day 27 You are a Leader

Today Pastor Chris (at Riverbank Church in White River Junction, VT) talked about one of my favorite topics-- Christian leadership.  What do you think of when we hear the word "leader?" Maybe you think, "sure, I'm a leader." That's great! But maybe you think, "uh, no way, I don't have the abilities or the gifts to be a leader." And if that's you, I understand where you are coming from. But friend, I'm lovingly telling you, you're dead wrong. As Christians, we are all leaders.  Really, I think we're just defining leadership wrong. Leadership, from a biblical standpoint, is serving others (Matthew 20:28), influence (Galatians 5:16-25), responsibility (Galatians 6:4-5), character (2 Peter 1:3), and skill (Luke 1610-12). We all have the Holy Spirit living inside of us, and he is the most powerful influence. So if we have him living inside of us, and working through us, how can we not be leaders? See, God does not call the qualif...

Day 28 Divine Love in Truth

I'm going to back-track here... back to truth. Remember how I said it's connected to love? Christopher Heuertz says in The Sacred Enneagram  that "there is divine love in all truth no matter where it's from." But see, sometimes the truth hurts. So where's the love then? What about the truth that I am broken and selfish and impatient and human? When we are held accountable, we typically don't like hearing where we've gone wrong. And yet, being held accountable is so valuable and necessary. It helps us see who we truly are-- even the ugly bits.  It teaches us how we can grow and who we are becoming.  It draws us closer to Love. When you can see where you struggle, you can also choose to see your potential. I believe that's how God sees all of us.  He sees our cracked pieces and sees beauty because he can see the final work. It requires hope on our end, and patience to hear and develop from hard truth. So next time you hear someone tell you that t...