Skip to main content

Day 20 Ecclesia

Today at church (in PA) the sermon was on the Household of God, and it was titled Church Matters.  In a time when many Christians believe they can follow Jesus and not go too church (and in a sense, that's true), I thought this may be very relevant.  But the message took a very different turn.

It went on to talk about how church is good for you and how you can benefit from church.  And I sat there wriggling in my seat because I kept thinking, "that's great and all... but church isn't about me."

So ecclesia is the word for both a body of faithful people and the whole body of the faithful.  In a word, church (and Church). God designed the ecclesia to bring the message of the gospel to the world.  Point one: we need church. We as Christians need to be involved in the church because the body, this community, is specifically called to share the Good News-- you can't do it alone. You are called to evangelize where you are, to be a missionary wherever you go, but apart from the Church, you won't get very far. 

Church is so important friends!

We gather as a body not just to be fed (because by the time Sunday comes around, we need good spiritual food). But we need to enter into the presence of the Holy Spirit and worship the God who brought us from day one to seven.  A pastor once asked our church what it would be like if we spent our week not just looking forward to and longing for Sunday when we will be filled up, but fueled our souls by seeing all the ways God worked during the week and came into Sunday sharing all the ways he provided? 

The church in Acts had everything in common and shared and provided whenever there was need.  No one lacked anything.  Can we come back to this? No church is perfect because we are made up of imperfect people.  But God is sanctifying his people, bringing us closer to him, if we could just see past ourselves and into his heart.  We need to move past the drama and the disagreements and come back to love and grace.  It will not be perfect this side of heaven, but I think we can practice looking a whole lot more like Jesus where we are now. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 29 Roots

Orange unfurls from green and lies under layers of brown. Roots are planted deep, but canopies are left bare with death as bitter winds befriend my nose and fingers. I pray my roots are deep enough to endure the change of season. What if death consumes everything that sits on the surface so everything underneath is exposed? Dig deep, patiently wait for the sprout to emerge, let the roots begin to sink in. The winds may blow the leaves away and break some branches, but resurrection comes with change too. Hope lives in the roots.

Day 27 You are a Leader

Today Pastor Chris (at Riverbank Church in White River Junction, VT) talked about one of my favorite topics-- Christian leadership.  What do you think of when we hear the word "leader?" Maybe you think, "sure, I'm a leader." That's great! But maybe you think, "uh, no way, I don't have the abilities or the gifts to be a leader." And if that's you, I understand where you are coming from. But friend, I'm lovingly telling you, you're dead wrong. As Christians, we are all leaders.  Really, I think we're just defining leadership wrong. Leadership, from a biblical standpoint, is serving others (Matthew 20:28), influence (Galatians 5:16-25), responsibility (Galatians 6:4-5), character (2 Peter 1:3), and skill (Luke 1610-12). We all have the Holy Spirit living inside of us, and he is the most powerful influence. So if we have him living inside of us, and working through us, how can we not be leaders? See, God does not call the qualif...

Day 28 Divine Love in Truth

I'm going to back-track here... back to truth. Remember how I said it's connected to love? Christopher Heuertz says in The Sacred Enneagram  that "there is divine love in all truth no matter where it's from." But see, sometimes the truth hurts. So where's the love then? What about the truth that I am broken and selfish and impatient and human? When we are held accountable, we typically don't like hearing where we've gone wrong. And yet, being held accountable is so valuable and necessary. It helps us see who we truly are-- even the ugly bits.  It teaches us how we can grow and who we are becoming.  It draws us closer to Love. When you can see where you struggle, you can also choose to see your potential. I believe that's how God sees all of us.  He sees our cracked pieces and sees beauty because he can see the final work. It requires hope on our end, and patience to hear and develop from hard truth. So next time you hear someone tell you that t...