Skip to main content

Day 14 Beauty from Brokenness

God uses brokenness to make us whole. In this fall season, when the treetops transform into a golden canopy, everything is temporarily preparing for death.  The season will merge with the frost and the life in the ground will stand still until spring.

In this "brokenness," this season of transition and transformation, there is beauty.  In our lives, there are moments when we have nothing together and our minds are scattered and thrown to the wind.  But in those times, there is hope because God takes those pieces that fall to the floor, he takes our weaknesses, our fatigue, our worry, our frustration (whatever we hand over to him) and he creates something beautiful.

There's this old parable about a cracked pot. To paraphrase, this pot can't hold water like the pot on the other side of the yoke, and it's disappointed and self-conscious about itself since it comes back from the well only half full.  Little does the pot know, the gardener knew the pot was cracked, and one day he tells it to look to the side of the path on the way back to the master's house.  The pot half-heartedly looks, and when they arrive home, the gardener asks what it saw.  Too caught up in its flaw, the pot says that it's no good and should be thrown away.  But the gardener, with grace in his voice, replies that the path was surrounded by beautiful flowers on that side because he had planted seeds, knowing that this pot would water them.  And now, the master's house was full of beautiful bouquets.

A simple story, but it brings tears to my eyes whenever I read it because I too am so caught up in what I can't do and who I am not.  But Christ sees who I am and who I'm becoming.  He uses the worst parts of me for his glory because he transforms them into something breathtakingly beautiful. So remind yourself today, that it does not matter what brokenness is in your life or has been in your life.  You are a new creation, and Jesus does not make ugly things.  He will take you in his arms and use you and even me for his Kingdom and his glory. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 29 Roots

Orange unfurls from green and lies under layers of brown. Roots are planted deep, but canopies are left bare with death as bitter winds befriend my nose and fingers. I pray my roots are deep enough to endure the change of season. What if death consumes everything that sits on the surface so everything underneath is exposed? Dig deep, patiently wait for the sprout to emerge, let the roots begin to sink in. The winds may blow the leaves away and break some branches, but resurrection comes with change too. Hope lives in the roots.

Day 27 You are a Leader

Today Pastor Chris (at Riverbank Church in White River Junction, VT) talked about one of my favorite topics-- Christian leadership.  What do you think of when we hear the word "leader?" Maybe you think, "sure, I'm a leader." That's great! But maybe you think, "uh, no way, I don't have the abilities or the gifts to be a leader." And if that's you, I understand where you are coming from. But friend, I'm lovingly telling you, you're dead wrong. As Christians, we are all leaders.  Really, I think we're just defining leadership wrong. Leadership, from a biblical standpoint, is serving others (Matthew 20:28), influence (Galatians 5:16-25), responsibility (Galatians 6:4-5), character (2 Peter 1:3), and skill (Luke 1610-12). We all have the Holy Spirit living inside of us, and he is the most powerful influence. So if we have him living inside of us, and working through us, how can we not be leaders? See, God does not call the qualif...

Day 28 Divine Love in Truth

I'm going to back-track here... back to truth. Remember how I said it's connected to love? Christopher Heuertz says in The Sacred Enneagram  that "there is divine love in all truth no matter where it's from." But see, sometimes the truth hurts. So where's the love then? What about the truth that I am broken and selfish and impatient and human? When we are held accountable, we typically don't like hearing where we've gone wrong. And yet, being held accountable is so valuable and necessary. It helps us see who we truly are-- even the ugly bits.  It teaches us how we can grow and who we are becoming.  It draws us closer to Love. When you can see where you struggle, you can also choose to see your potential. I believe that's how God sees all of us.  He sees our cracked pieces and sees beauty because he can see the final work. It requires hope on our end, and patience to hear and develop from hard truth. So next time you hear someone tell you that t...