Skip to main content

Anchor

Breathe. Inhale... exhale.  I am alive.

The first fragile snowflake falls in December.
A field of flowers swaying in a spring breeze.
A star shoots past the moon on a warm summer night.
The low roll of thunder when a storm begins.
A broken pot that sits on the shelf in an old potter's home.

I see my Savior in all these things-- my Anchor -- but not in the broken pot.
You see, the broken pot is one that simply sits on a wooden shelf.  It collects dust.
It is known for its brokenness and it does not serve a purpose.
It does not know why the potter keeps it. 

But the potter knows.
The potter has never forgotten the pot.

I am the broken pot.
I sit on a shelf collecting dust.
I am helpless, hopeless.  I cannot serve my purpose.  Nor any purpose.

But one day, the potter takes me from my shelf. 
My shattered edges shift and crumble.  It hurts.
The potter with gentle hands and loving fingers takes on broken piece
and restores it to its place.
Then he takes another, and another.
I feel renewed.

And then he stops.  Why? Am I not good enough?
I must not be worthy of his time and efforts.  I understand.

Then he does the strangest thing.
He places a candle in me.
I can't help but laugh to myself as it sits there, gathering dust with me.
Great, I can't do anything but allow others to serve no purpose too.
Why would the potter do this?

He puts me on a table in the middle of the room. 
I sit there for a long while as I watch the sun begin to set outside the window.
What beautiful light it brought to the room.

I am inadequate, a broken mess.
I'm sorry.  I have no use, I cannot bring anything to offer the world.
I have failed the potter.

Time passes.
Inhale... exhale.
I am still breathing. 
The moon emerges in the night sky, full and bright.
Peepers and crickets sing their harmonious lullaby. 
This is all I have.
I feel as though I could take my last breath and leave this world of beauty.

The potter looks at me.
He goes from the room and returns with a match.
I wish he would just throw me from the table.
But he lights the match. 
The candle is lit.  I look around the room.

Light pours from my cracks and fills everything with warm candlelight.
I can't help but breathe in the sweet aroma.
The potter gazes at me with love in his eyes.
He says to me,
"I made you beautiful. I knew your brokenness,
but see how my love has poured through your cracks and
turned your dust into glory."

Breathe. Inhale... exhale.
A broken pot.
That's me.  Broken.  Not useless.
Overcome by love. Created for beauty.
Glorifying my Savior.
I am a broken pit, but that is okay.
That is beautiful when I am in the loving embrace of the potter. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 29 Roots

Orange unfurls from green and lies under layers of brown. Roots are planted deep, but canopies are left bare with death as bitter winds befriend my nose and fingers. I pray my roots are deep enough to endure the change of season. What if death consumes everything that sits on the surface so everything underneath is exposed? Dig deep, patiently wait for the sprout to emerge, let the roots begin to sink in. The winds may blow the leaves away and break some branches, but resurrection comes with change too. Hope lives in the roots.

Day 27 You are a Leader

Today Pastor Chris (at Riverbank Church in White River Junction, VT) talked about one of my favorite topics-- Christian leadership.  What do you think of when we hear the word "leader?" Maybe you think, "sure, I'm a leader." That's great! But maybe you think, "uh, no way, I don't have the abilities or the gifts to be a leader." And if that's you, I understand where you are coming from. But friend, I'm lovingly telling you, you're dead wrong. As Christians, we are all leaders.  Really, I think we're just defining leadership wrong. Leadership, from a biblical standpoint, is serving others (Matthew 20:28), influence (Galatians 5:16-25), responsibility (Galatians 6:4-5), character (2 Peter 1:3), and skill (Luke 1610-12). We all have the Holy Spirit living inside of us, and he is the most powerful influence. So if we have him living inside of us, and working through us, how can we not be leaders? See, God does not call the qualif...

Day 28 Divine Love in Truth

I'm going to back-track here... back to truth. Remember how I said it's connected to love? Christopher Heuertz says in The Sacred Enneagram  that "there is divine love in all truth no matter where it's from." But see, sometimes the truth hurts. So where's the love then? What about the truth that I am broken and selfish and impatient and human? When we are held accountable, we typically don't like hearing where we've gone wrong. And yet, being held accountable is so valuable and necessary. It helps us see who we truly are-- even the ugly bits.  It teaches us how we can grow and who we are becoming.  It draws us closer to Love. When you can see where you struggle, you can also choose to see your potential. I believe that's how God sees all of us.  He sees our cracked pieces and sees beauty because he can see the final work. It requires hope on our end, and patience to hear and develop from hard truth. So next time you hear someone tell you that t...