Skip to main content

Why Am I Taking a Break?


This past Sunday at some bizarre hour of 1: something in the morning, I posted a status on Facebook saying goodbye to social media.  I know what you're thinking, but this will not be a rant about why I hate social media. I also know that I don't have to offer any explanation to justify why I left it all behind, but I feel that I should.  So here we go...

Recently, I have simply been feeling quite discouraged.  Transitions are always difficult, but the transition into college has been especially hard for me.  I almost feel like an awkward middle schooler again.  A small girl who struggles to find her place in the world.  Everyone else seems to make friends so easily, and now I can look practically anywhere and see groups of people acting like they had known each other for their entire lives.  I have felt confused and alone. Some people may say I'm experiencing some kind of existential crisis, but I view it as trying to figure out how I fit into God's plan.  Again.  (And I know that I am not the only one who has wrestled with this).

With that, however, social media has become a very dark place for me.  It can send me into storms filled with waves of tears and winds of voices that tell me I am not enough.  I see everyone else's happy lives and wonder, "What I am doing wrong? What's wrong with me?"  And I sink deeper and deeper with every post and picture I see of all the smiling people.

No, I don't hate other people nor do I hate other people's happiness. And I don't hate social media. I think it can be a marvelous place to connect with people who are far away, or old friends who you hardly get to see anymore.  I love Instagram especially, and the ability to take photos and hold onto memories of places and people you love.  Even twitter can be entertaining when your friend posts a witty comment that makes you chuckle. 

But (and here is my small rant... I'm sorry... but not really), how often do we feel the need to appear OK? How often do we want to post something because we want to see if people will like it or not? How often do we allow likes, or follows, or friends define how we feel about ourselves? Maybe you don't struggle with these things, and social media is a wonderful place for you to just be the real you-- if that's so, I am happy for you (and can you teach me how you do it, please?).  But that is simply not the case for me. 

Social media has become a burden on me, and I have felt God calling me to give it over to Him.  So on Sunday morning, in the midst of one of those storms, God calmed the raging sea. 

And now I am here. 

I have to say, it is very freeing.  Sometimes it's difficult when I am bored because I just want to mindlessly scroll through a newsfeed like I usually would.  But now I have more time to read, and write, and draw (after studying, of course (; ).

I honestly don't know how long I'll stay away.  But I am okay with that.  I want to rest in this new freedom for now, and see where God leads. 

So as my last facebook post says, if you need me I will still answer my calls and respond to texts, or maybe we can even talk in person! But really, if anyone needs me, I am still here.  And I am happy to answer any questions, or talk with you about why I made this choice.

Thanks friends.





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 29 Roots

Orange unfurls from green and lies under layers of brown. Roots are planted deep, but canopies are left bare with death as bitter winds befriend my nose and fingers. I pray my roots are deep enough to endure the change of season. What if death consumes everything that sits on the surface so everything underneath is exposed? Dig deep, patiently wait for the sprout to emerge, let the roots begin to sink in. The winds may blow the leaves away and break some branches, but resurrection comes with change too. Hope lives in the roots.

Day 27 You are a Leader

Today Pastor Chris (at Riverbank Church in White River Junction, VT) talked about one of my favorite topics-- Christian leadership.  What do you think of when we hear the word "leader?" Maybe you think, "sure, I'm a leader." That's great! But maybe you think, "uh, no way, I don't have the abilities or the gifts to be a leader." And if that's you, I understand where you are coming from. But friend, I'm lovingly telling you, you're dead wrong. As Christians, we are all leaders.  Really, I think we're just defining leadership wrong. Leadership, from a biblical standpoint, is serving others (Matthew 20:28), influence (Galatians 5:16-25), responsibility (Galatians 6:4-5), character (2 Peter 1:3), and skill (Luke 1610-12). We all have the Holy Spirit living inside of us, and he is the most powerful influence. So if we have him living inside of us, and working through us, how can we not be leaders? See, God does not call the qualif...

Day 28 Divine Love in Truth

I'm going to back-track here... back to truth. Remember how I said it's connected to love? Christopher Heuertz says in The Sacred Enneagram  that "there is divine love in all truth no matter where it's from." But see, sometimes the truth hurts. So where's the love then? What about the truth that I am broken and selfish and impatient and human? When we are held accountable, we typically don't like hearing where we've gone wrong. And yet, being held accountable is so valuable and necessary. It helps us see who we truly are-- even the ugly bits.  It teaches us how we can grow and who we are becoming.  It draws us closer to Love. When you can see where you struggle, you can also choose to see your potential. I believe that's how God sees all of us.  He sees our cracked pieces and sees beauty because he can see the final work. It requires hope on our end, and patience to hear and develop from hard truth. So next time you hear someone tell you that t...