Skip to main content

A Poem... Saved For a Rainy Day

I hear the rumbles roll through the sky.
The noise begins as a soft whisper and transforms into a loud, thundering roar.
Suddenly everything goes dark.
There is a moment of panic. 
My heart pounds and I can hear my pulse in my ears.
But through the darkness the light somehow shines brighter than it ever had before.
A flash glows and grows before my eyes and the roar cries out once more.
Again and again it howls and growls.
But what is it saying?
Sometimes I fear it.
I tremble and shake and long for the light. 
But other times I do not fear but simply listen, pray, wonder, and wait. 
The darkness so often seems to overcome the light.
But always, always, an end comes.
There is a quiet. A calm. A peace.
The tranquil air is cool and still.
The rain is gentle as the pitter-patter falls steadily onto the soft earth. 
Then there is a silence. 
An end to the darkness. 
A dawn is coming. 
The light will overcome the world. 
It already has. 
In the morning the light will shine again... But the depth of it's significance can only be appreciated in the full by the eyes that have seen the darkness. 


"When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, 'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.'" (John 8:12 NIV)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 29 Roots

Orange unfurls from green and lies under layers of brown. Roots are planted deep, but canopies are left bare with death as bitter winds befriend my nose and fingers. I pray my roots are deep enough to endure the change of season. What if death consumes everything that sits on the surface so everything underneath is exposed? Dig deep, patiently wait for the sprout to emerge, let the roots begin to sink in. The winds may blow the leaves away and break some branches, but resurrection comes with change too. Hope lives in the roots.

Day 27 You are a Leader

Today Pastor Chris (at Riverbank Church in White River Junction, VT) talked about one of my favorite topics-- Christian leadership.  What do you think of when we hear the word "leader?" Maybe you think, "sure, I'm a leader." That's great! But maybe you think, "uh, no way, I don't have the abilities or the gifts to be a leader." And if that's you, I understand where you are coming from. But friend, I'm lovingly telling you, you're dead wrong. As Christians, we are all leaders.  Really, I think we're just defining leadership wrong. Leadership, from a biblical standpoint, is serving others (Matthew 20:28), influence (Galatians 5:16-25), responsibility (Galatians 6:4-5), character (2 Peter 1:3), and skill (Luke 1610-12). We all have the Holy Spirit living inside of us, and he is the most powerful influence. So if we have him living inside of us, and working through us, how can we not be leaders? See, God does not call the qualif...

Day 28 Divine Love in Truth

I'm going to back-track here... back to truth. Remember how I said it's connected to love? Christopher Heuertz says in The Sacred Enneagram  that "there is divine love in all truth no matter where it's from." But see, sometimes the truth hurts. So where's the love then? What about the truth that I am broken and selfish and impatient and human? When we are held accountable, we typically don't like hearing where we've gone wrong. And yet, being held accountable is so valuable and necessary. It helps us see who we truly are-- even the ugly bits.  It teaches us how we can grow and who we are becoming.  It draws us closer to Love. When you can see where you struggle, you can also choose to see your potential. I believe that's how God sees all of us.  He sees our cracked pieces and sees beauty because he can see the final work. It requires hope on our end, and patience to hear and develop from hard truth. So next time you hear someone tell you that t...